WIN THIS BOOK!

So, I've decided to do something fun to keep people motivated to visit my blog. Every once in a while I am going to have a "Favorite's Challenge." Here is how it works - I make up the rules and can change them whenever I want!
Challenge number one - What is your favorite book? I am part of a book club and will be hosting the club at my house one month this year. I need to come up with a book to assign everyone to read. Here is what I need you to do - send me a post telling me about your favorite book and why. I will pick the book I think sounds most interesting and choose it for my book club. Whoever's book I choose will receive a copy of my favorite book, which is These is my Words by Nancy E. Turner. Yes you will get a book from me, is that motivation enough to comment on my blog? I hope so!
I'm doing this because I'd love to learn more about my friends and family and what you all are interested in. Hope to hear from you all soon! Oh yeah, the challenge starts now and ends April 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM. Good luck!
.jpg)
6 comments:
I found your blog by clicking on the favorite book we have in common. So, obviously, The Giver by Lois Lowry. I just hosted book club at my house which means I choose the next book. I chose The Giver. I'm anxious to lead the discussion because there is so much in this book. I'll definitely ask about the use of color, names, objects in relation to society, etc. I also just picked up Gathering Blue and Messenger from the library. I've read Gathering Blue and need to start Messenger. I just found out they are a trilogy (I'm a little slow sometimes) and I am looking forward to reading them all again. Good luck with book club!
I have a few suggestions:
1. Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza
This book is about the Rwandan Holocaust. The book is about the author. She hid away in a small bathroom in the wall hidden by an armoire for many months. She witnessed many terrible things and was such a strong person, she survived.
2. Into Thin Air by Jon Drakauer
This is a true story about a few groups of people who climbed mt. everest a while back. One of the survivors tells the story of what happened on the mountain top and why so many died that year.
3. Letters from a Nut by Ted L. Nancy
This might be a good one for a book club because it is so different and not like any other bookclub book. It is hilarious. I read this book straight through while laughing hysterically for hours all by myself. This guy Ted Nancy writes random crazy letters to all kinds of business and publishes their replies. It might be fun to have everyone pick their favorite letter and share it at the book club.
corene
Sweetie, let me get this straight. I have to tell you about a book that I read so that I can hope for you to give me another book? How is this a game? How about I tell you about how much I love the Yankees and you give me All Star Game tickets?
My two nominations are:
Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas: I couldn't put it down, it read like historical fiction (which is a fun way to get in some history), it was really funny, and in the end turned out to be a mystery! So much in one book, but I warn that it has the F-word in it once, other than that it's clean.
Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters by Mark Dunn: This was fascinating on two levels. The book is written as letters exchanged among several people and yet still very engaging. Also, the letters of the alphabet themselves become a fascinating subject as townspeople legally lose the ability to use certain letters of the alphabet each week. The author is brilliant.
I'm in charge of my church-sponsored book club, and it's tricky to find books that will appeal to the whole group. Good luck!
I have a suggestion. I have never been in a book club, so I don't know what is appropriate or not, but I just read a really good book by Richard Paul Evans, called "The 5 Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me". It talks about how anyone can succeed in life and even become a millionaire no matter what their circumstances. It shows a lot of ways we can achieve goals and get what we want in life. I'll probably have another suggestion coming up.
Becki V.
I am so excited about everyone's suggestions so far. Maybe I shouldn't have done this because now I have a long list of good books to read! Ha Ha! Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. A few more days left to make suggestions (Saturday, April 5th). Thanks again. Mariah
Post a Comment